Executive Functioning Treatment
What is Executive Function Disorder?
Many in the general population are born with the skills needed to focus their attention, remember their things to do, plan, organize, and multi-task successfully. These skills are called “executive functioning.”
However, some individuals – both adult and adolescent – may struggle with executive functioning due to their personality and cognitive profile, causing a negative impact on their quality of life. For many, the stressors experienced can be a trigger for impaired mental health and mood.
At Atlanta Specialized Care we treat impaired executive functioning and teach the skills needed to improve proficiency in this area.
Do you struggle with things like this?
- Task completion
- Time management
Do you say anything like this?
- I don’t know where to start.
- I am always running behind.
- I just can’t get myself to do it until the last minute when I am overwhelmed.
- I get so stressed trying to pull it all together.
- It looks like a bomb went off … (room, home, office)
- I have a hard time deciding what to keep and what to toss.
- I sometimes forget to … (brush teeth, brush hair, shower, wash clothes)
Do you hear things like this from others?
- You are so smart, why are you always behind?
- You disappoint me that you are not trying.
- You need to (take a shower, brush your teeth, change your clothes …)
- You are so unorganized and it’s stressing our family out.
- You are under-performing.
- You don’t seem to have common sense.
- Your bad habits are affecting work.
If you answered “yes” to the questions above, we understand your challenges. For many, the stressors experienced with impaired executive functioning can be a trigger for self-medication with drugs or alcohol.
Atlanta Specialized Care treats impaired executive functioning through education, therapy, and medication. We empower you with the skills to navigate life more successfully.
We also provide career counseling to help you improve your workplace performance by addressing any social challenges and/or communication issues you may be dealing with.
Executive Function Disorder Treatment for Adult and Adolescent
This is the pride of our practice. We are unique in our approach, offering groups for both adults and adolescents who struggle with mood impairment, planning, organizing, time management, self-management, communication skills, and personal connections.
Each group teaches specific skills in those areas and offers measurable goals. They also offer space for those who struggle with these issues to understand how common these behaviors and feelings are and that they are not alone.
The adult group meets Tuesdays from 6:30 - 8:30 pm. The adolescent group meets Wednesdays from 5 - 6:30 pm.
Counseling in Atlanta, GA
To learn more about executive functioning and request an appointment at our office, please call us at (770) 815-6853 or use our interactive appointment request form.