Trauma can affect anyone at any time and can often have detrimental effects. For those suffering from trauma in their lives, the specialists at Atlanta Specialized Care are here to help. We are proud to offer comprehensive, individualized care to those struggling with a wide range of mental health conditions, including those who have suffered from trauma at any point in their lives.
What is Trauma?
Psychological trauma is a type of damage to the mind that occurs as a result of a severely distressing event. Trauma is often the result of an overwhelming amount of stress that exceeds one's ability to cope with the emotions involved with that experience. When this happens, an individual may experience disturbances in their thoughts and emotions which can leave them feeling helpless and unable to cope with everyday life. Trauma can be caused by a wide variety of events, including natural disasters, wartime experiences, physical or sexual abuse, extreme violence, neglect, or even the death of a loved one.
Symptoms of Trauma
Trauma can affect individuals in a variety of ways. It’s important to note that everyone reacts to psychological trauma differently and that symptoms can vary from person to person. That said, there are common symptoms of trauma that can cause the diagnosis of a disorder like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Common symptoms of psychological trauma include:
- Avoiding people, places, or activities that remind you of the traumatic event
- Feeling detached from loved ones
- Feelings of hopelessness and emptiness
- Memory issues
- Negative thoughts and self-talk
- Recurrent distressing memories or flashbacks
- Recurring nightmares or night terrors
- Reliving traumatic events
Treatments for Trauma
Psychological trauma is not something that is easily resolved or goes away on its own. To overcome or cope with the distress, pain, and dysfunction of trauma, you need treatment from a professional. Our counselors are trained in several highly researched therapies that specifically address trauma:
- Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): Regardless of your past or current experiences, EMDR has been shown to help put your trauma into remission.
- Brainspotting: An effective and nurturing process of overcoming trauma.
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy: Understanding through CBT how and why you feel negative emotions has been shown to help with trauma responses.
- Progressive Counting: A well-researched trauma intervention that can be utilized with any age group.
Treatment for your psychological trauma is going to be unique to you, your symptoms, your individual needs, and your lifestyle. The expert providers at Atlanta Specialized Care will be happy to provide you with a detailed, tailored treatment plan after providing you with an accurate diagnosis of your condition. We’ll be there with you through every step of the process, ensuring you return to living your life in the happiest way possible.
Psychological Trauma Treatment in Atlanta & Alpharetta, GA
Trauma can stay with us for a long time, but it doesn’t have to stay with us forever. The specialists at Atlanta Specialized Care are proud to offer cutting-edge, evidence-based care to those suffering from the effects of a traumatic event in their life. For more information about our treatments for psychological trauma or other mental health conditions, please call Atlanta Specialized Care at (770) 815-6853 or arrange a consultation online by using our information request form.